Dimbulagala rajamaha viharaya is located about 17 km to the east of the ancient city polonnaruwa. It will take nearly half an hour from the polonnaruwa to reach dimbulagala
How to reach dimbulagala
1. Colombo –> Kurunegala –> dambulla –> minneriya –> polonnaruwa via batticaloa road turn right to mahiyanganaya road from batticaloa junction then you can reach dimbulagala (247km)
2. You can reach dimbulagala from the Kandy via mahiyanganaya –> dehiattakandiya –> siripura dimbulagala (144km) or
3. Kandy –> via matale –> dambulla –> minneriya –> polonnaruwa –> dimbulagala
In our ancient books dimbulagala referred as Udumbara – giri. ‘Udumbara’ is a name for wood apples (diwl in sinhala), and ‘giri’ means hills/mountain and some text it has mentioned Dimbulagala as ‘Dola Pabbatha’
Going back many periods it is supposed that Prince Pandukabahaya, son of Unmadachitra and Deegagamini, survived in the stone cave here with Swarnapali and was rendered much hospitality by the two demon Senadhipathies Chitra Raja and Kala Vela, in human form. Then after some time, in the same stone cave of Dimbulagala, Princess Swarnapali gave birth to a child. He was named Mutasiva, after her father’s name. It’s also cited that another Prince was born and named Ganatissa.
What are the places to visit in dimbulagala
1. Dimbulagala raja maha viharaya
2. Sath Mahal Prasadaya / Akasa chaithya / Ahas maligaawa (you need to climb dimbulagala rock to reach this place nearly 2km from the bottom )
3. Owshadha Pokuna / herbal ponds (its little difficult to reach this place because of wild animals and unclear paths but if you like the adventure journey this is a good place to visit. You can reach this place across the mountain via ahas maligava and go forward or from the bottom there is another sub way to reach this place)
4 Namal Pokuna, rock pools
You can reach this place before 2km to dimbulagala via polonnaruwa mahiyanganaya road.
Google 360 Views
Sath Mahal Prasadaya / Akasa chaithya / Ahas maligaawa
Videos About Dimbulagala Temple